And that is why in today’s post, I want to talk about the mindset of getting visible!! This is a HUGE topic in my opinion, but hardly anyone talks about it in the online space!
You can learn which technology you need for videos, you can join a challenge “30 days of live video”, or you can make a huge content plan that will force you to post every single day, but if you are SCARED to get visible, then all those things will not work.
So what do you do instead? You need to deal with the FEAR. Overcome the fear. You can do this by following the steps in this post!
When I ask entrepreneurs: what’s the first thing that comes to mind when you think of getting visible?
The answers I get are usually something like this:
💔 I am scared.
💔 People will judge me!
💔 I am out of ideas
💔 My audience is too small.
💔 I need to do it, because people tell me to do it
💔 I feel salesy when I talk about myself or my products and services
💔 I spend too much time coming up with the perfect content, and then I end up not posting.
Not too positive, to say the least. Do you have these thoughts too? Are they limiting you in reaching your visibility goals?
Many of those thoughts are based on your own experience in the past. Either with occasions where you tried to get visible and it did not go as intended, or experiences where you saw other people get visible / sell / market / show up in a way that felt spammy. They were annoying. And that is the image you create in your head of what sales and marketing and getting visible is all about. You don’t want YOUR followers to feel like that, and therefore you feel reluctant to show up.
But YOUR marketing and sales doesn’t have to be like that! You can be successful without ANY spam or over promotion… Your marketing can be super personal, full of value for your readers, and fun.
What you need to do is change your mindset / beliefs around getting visible and promoting yourself. Because these thoughts you have around getting visible are actually limiting beliefs. Beliefs that constrain you from getting the results you want!
Here’s a powerful exercise that will help you identify and then change your limiting beliefs around visibility and promoting your products or services.
Step 1: identify your limiting beliefs
- Take a piece of paper and create 3 columns
- In the left column, write down ALL the negative thoughts you have around showing up and getting visible. For example: no one wants to hear my message, I look terrible on pictures, selling is spamming. Whatever pops up.
- For each question, ask yourself “why do I feel this way?”. This will help you deep digger to identify the underlying belief.
Step 2: create new, helpful thoughts and beliefs and make them actionable
In the second column, create a HELPFUL thought for each negative thought: how can you turn that negative thought around to a helpful, positive thought? For example: my list is too small is a limiting belief. A helpful thought could be: quality is more important than quantity, I am working on building my list and right now, I am happy with the subscribers I have and I am excited to write to them!
Step 3: make those new helpful thoughts and beliefs yours.
- In the third column, write a HELPFUL ACTION: what could be a next step you can take to help you with this challenge? For the limiting belief “my audience is too small”, helpful actions could be to come up with a fun way to grow your list, and also to post on social media as if you already had 100,000 super loyal fans. Taking small actions that bring positive results will help you confirm that your new beliefs are true.
- Read through your list of new beliefs every single day. You can stick them on your wall (that’s what I have, a little wall with helpful new thoughts), you can record them and listen to them on your phone daily, get creative and make sure to look at the new beliefs daily. This will help you program them into your unconscious mind and make them your new reality!
Tadaaaa! All set! Would you like to learn more about how to become visible online in a way that feels authentic, effective and doable? Join my Facebook Group!